The SCFFI seeks global narrative features and short films that engage with significant global social and environmental issues in unique, creative, educational, and action-inspiring ways. The theme for SCFFI 2012 is “Water: Challenges & Solutions” and films tackling water-related issues will be featured; however, selected films will not be limited to the theme. The second annual Social Change Film Festival & Institute will be held November 28 – December 2, 2012 in New Orleans, LA USA.
Please read the guidelines, judging criteria and entry fees below before you submit.
Global Documentary Features
In order to qualify as a Global Documentary Feature Film, the submitted project must be at least 50 minutes in length Documentary an originate from anywhere in the world.
Global Narrative Features
In order to qualify as a Global Narrative Feature Film, the submitted project must be at least 50 minutes in length, either scripted, mockumentary or improvisational fiction and can originate from anywhere in the world.
Global Short Films
In order to qualify as a Short fiction, documentary or experimental film, a film must have a total running time of less than 50 minutes. All Short Films that are selected will screen before features or in a Shorts Program.
Selected films must be made available for Festival presentation in digital video (DVD). Films requiring dual projection (interlock), Super-16mm projection or conventional video projection will not be accepted.
- Competion date: The film was completed no earlier than 1/1/2009.
- Language: Films must be made available with the original language soundtrack and English Subtitles.
- Format: All films must be submitted on DVD format. All entries, as well as accompanying materials, will not be returned and will become part of the non-distributable archives of the Social Change Film Festival and Institute.
- Accompanying Materials: Please include a printed copy of the Entry Confirmation Form with your submission DVD or link. Incomplete entries will not be considered.
- Strong Social Message
We celebrate the independent spirit of excellent filmmaking and creative storytelling. We are looking for films that generate dialogue, spark policy change, and/or activate communities around key social issues of our times. Selected films will represent a diversity of perspectives from all over the world. The 2012 theme for the festival is Water. Films tackling water-relevant social issues will be featured; however, we encourage any film dealing with global social change to apply. As we seek to feature the most educational, empowering, and change-oriented films, selected films will not necessarily all be on the theme of “water.”
- Education: Does the film uncover new territory and/or provide new relevant information on the given topic?
- Technique & Creativity: The film should be of high production value in sound and picture and demonstrate elegant and compelling editing skills.
Story Line: We are looking for films with good storytelling structure. Does the film offer its message in a sophisticated way?
- Inspiration & Empowerment: SCFFI seeks to promote the ability of film to inspire action. We favor films that offer solutions and/or drive community activism on an issue.
Deadlines & Fees:
All prices shown are in USD (US Dollars)
- $55.00 Shorts
- $65.00 Features
Submitted by July 15, 2012